We have selected an assortment of useful real estate websites that some of us have found valuable, organized by type. Anyone who would like to suggest a good site should contact Tom Coyne of the Practice Technology Committee.
Table of Contents
ACREL Substantive Committees
- Airports Counsel International -- North America
- FAA (Federal Aviation Administration)
- U.S. General Services Administration
- American Society of Appraisers
- Appraisal Institute
- Provides database of appraisers across the U.S. based on MAI membership, SRPA membership, and SREA membership; also provides catalog of publications in its library.
- Appraisal Subcommittee of the Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council
- Maintains National Registry of appraisers.
- National Association of Independent Fee Appraisers
- AIA (American Institute of Architects)
- This site contains architectural news and a list of members.
- Large number of land use, architecture, planning, local government and zoning links. Also has various municipal ordinance links. Formerly Planning and Architectural Internet Resource Center - PAIRC.
- Build on This
- Buckingham, Doolittle & Burroughs Real Estate & Construction blog.
- New York Zoning and Municipal Law Blog
- Published by Silverberg Zalantis.
- PropertyProf Blog
- Authored by D. Benjamin Barros of Widener University School of Law.
- Conway Data, Inc. -- The Bridge Between Corporations and Communities
- National Association of Realtors
Business Improvement Districts
- A to Z of Business Improvement Districts
- Provided by the Project for Public Spaces.
- Business Improvement Districts and Innovative Service Delivery
- 1999 report by Jerry Mitchell of The City University of New York.
- Business Improvement Districts: Issues in Alternative Local Public Service Provision
- By Mildred Warner, James Quazi, Brooks More, Ezra Cattan, Scott Bellen and Kerim Odekon (June 2002). Provided by Cornell University Department of City and Regional Planning.
- Cities Within Cities: Business Improvement Districts and the Emergence of the Micropolis
- 1995 New York City Council Staff Report to the Finance Committee. Has a chapter outlining the procedure in New York.
- National Trust Main Street Center
- New York City - Business Improvement Districts
- Includes "Starting a Business Improvement District: A Step-by-Step Guide" and "Streetwise & Business Savvy: Best Practices and Accomplishments from New York City's BIDs".
- USA BID websites (from the MIT Dept. of Urban Studies)
- Investment Property Exchange Services, Inc.
- General information regarding 1031 exchange, capital gains calculator.
- Access Board Accessibility Guidelines and Standards
- Americans with Disabilities Act Accessibility Guidelines, Uniform Federal Accessibility Standards
- Americans with Disabilities Act Document Center
- ADA statute, regulations, guidelines, related documents, and a summary of the ADA.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics - Consumer Price Indexes
- This page allows you to tailor the CPI to your needs.
- Census Bureau
- HUD (U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development)
- Official forms, HUD Handbooks, Notices and Publications, Federal Register 1996 - current, Titles 12 and 42 of the U.S. Code, Titles 24, 41 and 48 of the CFR, Congressional Record, Guidebooks and Legal Opinions.
- The United States White House
- United States Code
- Provided by Cornell University Law School.
- Freddie Mac Forms
- Provides links to Single-Family Seller/Servicer Guide Forms; Uniform Mortgage Loan Instruments; Loan Perspector Forms; and Multifamily Guide Forms.
- HUD Forms
- Forms from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
General Real Estate Sites & Other Sources
- Builder Online
- Real Estate Builder Magazine
- CNN News
- Useful and complete current news reports from CNN.
- Embassy World -- World Maps
- Links to courts, codes, bar associations, etc. for state and federal information.
- Findlaw Corporate Counsel Center - Real Estate
- Global Real Estate Project
- Provided by the Burns School of Real Estate and Construction Management at the University of Denver.
- Google Maps
- Includes regular maps and satellite pictures.
- Hieros Gamos - Land Use
- Information about and links to government websites from Afghanistan to Zimbabwe; U.S. federal and state land use laws.
- Hieros Gamos - Landlord & Leasing
- Links to world government sites; federal and state statutes regarding landlord and tenant law; recent federal cases.
- Oddens Bookmarks -- Maps and Cartography
- PlainVanillaShell Research Center
- Provides access to the Retail Tenant Directory, 50 Top Market Reports, and the National Research Center's directory of shopping centers. A free registration is required.
- Real Property Practice Page - Westlaw
- Search Webster’s Dictionary, Roget’s thesaurus, Encyclopedia Britannica, and many other reference materials from one site.
- Retail Tenant Directory
- You can search by square footage, geographic area, location type and retail category. A free registration is required.
- Rominger Legal Research
- A useful compendium of research tools and sites.
- Given an U.S. address, this site will provide an aerial image with the ability to change the focus and display level on the fly. Once on an image of interest, click, and you will receive information (census, business, etc.) about that particular location.
- Finds satellite photos of your next development site or your own backyard. Download the images or order prints of the aerial photos.
- The 'Lectric Law Library
- A site providing legal forms and research tools.
- Weather reports for virtually any location.
- Zagat Survey
- Dining and travel information.
- Advisory Council on Historic Preservation
- Environmental and Historic Preservation (FCC)
- National Register of Historic Places
- National Register Collection of more than 68,000 historical properties and National Register publications.
- Guide to Law Online - Native American Peoples
- Indian Burial and Sacred Grounds Watch
- Provides information on state and federal laws as well as active and inactive sites.
- Kappler's Indian Affairs: Laws and Treaties
- National Conference of American Indians
- Includes information on legislative developments and gaming.
- National Indian Gaming Commission
- As an independent federal regulatory agency of the United States, the National Indian Gaming Commission (Commission) was established pursuant to the Indian Gaming Regulatory Act of 1988.
- National Indian Law Library
- Native American Constitution and Law Digitization Project
- Hosted by the University of Oklahoma.
- Tribal Court Clearinghouse
- Tribal Law Journal
- California Department of Insurance
- Provides captives, insurance companies, self insureds, risk retention groups, purchasing groups, associations, reciprocals, and public entity pools with an Internet Virtual Community for the exchange of alternative insurance information and services.
- Independent Insurance Network
- Insurance Information Institute
- Insurance Services Office, Inc.
- National Association of Insurance Commissioners
- National Underwriter Company's Industry Resource Center
- This site covers a wide range of topics with weekly updates, as well as contains many links to other insurance organizations.
- The American Risk and Insurance Association
- U.S. Treasury - Office of Domestic Finance - Terrorism Risk Insurance Program
- Fannie Mae
- Freddie Mac
- Government National Mortgage Association (GinnieMae)
- Historical Mortgage Rates
- National monthly averages rates and trending information for the past 20 years.
- American Legal Publishing Codes of Ordinances on the Internet
- Some codes of ordinances from 35 different states.
- General Code Publishers
- Municipal Code Corporation
- Seattle Public Library - Municipal Codes Online
- American Real Estate Exchange
- With a free registration, provides a vast compilation of real estate news and information.
- CoStar Group
- Current real estate news on national and state level. Market stats/indicators by city.
- E-mail/Internet discussion group for real estate lawyers; daily updates.
- International Real Estate Digest
- Real Estate Industry News; lists commercial properties for sale or lease; additional member services.
- Real Estate Forum Online
- Includes industry news, a REIT locator, market trends and a database of 16,000 real estate journal abstracts.
- SNL Real Estate Securities Daily
- While visiting SNL Interactive, you can retrieve news updates throughout the day, SEC and non-SEC corporate filings, complete market data including index performance and individual stock highlights, and in-depth financial information on individual companies in the real estate industries.
Property Management/Real Estate Consulting
- CB Richard Ellis - Local Reports Worldwide
- Virtually every one of the hundreds of markets served by CB Richard Ellis is covered with one or more of these local reports, which provide concise information on the local area's recent economic, vacancy, absorption, rental rate and construction trends. Office, industrial, retail and multi-unit housing real estate segments are covered. Regional reports are also available.
- Colliers International
- Shows real estate conditions in markets around the world from a global, regional and local perspective.
- Grubb & Ellis
- National real estate market research.
- A.M. Best Company
- Includes insurance company ratings, insurance guide, directory of government regulators, insurance e-news, company profiles and links to Best's Review.
- Fitch Ratings
- Moody's Ratings
- Standard & Poor's Index Information
- Answers questions about the S&P 100, S&P 500, MidCap 400 and SmallCap 600
- AES Group International/US Surveyor
- American Congress on Surveying and Mapping
- American Land Title Association (ALTA)
- Bock & Clark
- ALTA/ACSM Land Title survey requirements. Bock & Clark's handbook of survey requirements.
Title Companies/Escrow Agents
- American Land Title Association (ALTA)
- Chicago Title Corporation
- First American Corporation
- Lawyers Title Insurance Corporation
- Stewart Title Guaranty Company
- Industry news, mortgage and commercial loan rates.
- Underwriting Library
- Provided by the First American Title Insurance Company
Trade & Professional Associations
- ABA Section of Real Property, Probate & Trust Law
- American Law Institute and the American Bar Association
- American Arbitration Association
- American College of Mortgage Attorneys (ACMA)
- American College of Trusts and Estates Counsel
- American Industrial Real Estate Association
- Includes access to forms.
- American Planning Association
- Business Owners Management Association (BOMA) International
- Commercial Mortgage Securities Association
- Counselors of Real Estate
- CREW Network
- The National Network of Commercial Real Estate Women
- Institute of Real Estate Management
- International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC)
- Mortgage Bankers Association of America
- National Association of Industrial and Office Properties
- National Association of Real Estate Investment Trusts (NAREIT Online)
- National Association of Realtors
- NCREIF - National Council of Real Estate Investment Fiduciaries
- Urban Land Institute